Did you know your hair had superhuman strength?
Healthy hair is insanely strong! One strand of unbleached or uncoloured hair can hold the weight of about a dozen pennies… multiply that by the number of strands we have on our head and our hair could potentially lift an elephant!
I have actually seen proof of this in real life at Proud London Cabaret, where one performer did an entire aerial routine… suspended by her hair!
You may have noticed that I did specifically say healthy hair… Mine is bleached and coloured so I doubt it could hold as much weight… But this does not mean I don’t want my hair as strong and as healthy as it could be! So I thought I’d look up which foods (because I love eating… who doesn’t?) help keep your hair as strong as Love and Thunder!
1. EGGS! This made my very happy! Eggs are versatile, great for any meal and so yummy! And as it so happen they are a great source of protein and biotin, two nutrients that are essential for hair growth!!!
2. BERRIES! Going two for two on the pleased with myself and my research here! Especially in summer, who doesn’t want to chomp down on a load of yummy red berries, or make smoothies and ice-cream shakes full of vitamin rich goodness?! Berries are loaded with beneficial compounds, vitamins and antioxidant properties that support hair growth!
3. SPINACH… not everyone is going to be enthused by this one. I remember the first time I tried spinach as a child, I’d been begging my mum to get me some because I thought I’d be like Popeye… spinach out of a tin is not it… but fresh spinach in a salad is lovely! So do get your dose of healthy greens, that’s loaded with beneficial nutrients like folate, iron, and vitamins A and C, all of which are important for hair growth!
4.FISH! Especially fatty fish like herring and mackerel. Check they have been sustainably fished (Marine Stewardship Council logo for e.g.) Salmon is also good but unless you can afford to buy real wild salmon, this is best avoided. Salon farms not good. I feel like I’m writing up a brunch menu here… and that is a great thing because it is absolutely the best meal of the day! Omega-3 fatty acids are literally the best for strong shiny hair, so treat yourself and go get some brunch!
5. AVOCADOS. Not sure I need to say anything more! Now we understand why all those hipsters have such gorgeous beards…. It’s all the Avo Toast, healthy fats and vitamin E! (Editor’s note, sorry guys NOT good for the environment, use up too much water).
6.SWEET POTATOES! So when you’re out for a meal and go for a steak or burger, you can know you’re taking active part in your self care ritual by having sweet potato fries 😉 Sweet potatoes are a great source of beta-carotene. The body converts this compound into vitamin A, which is linked to healthy hair!!! (Ed’s note again! Steak or burger?! no no no not good for you not good for the planet!)
7. NUTS AND SEEDS! We all know nuts and seeds are a healthy snack choice for basically everything, so seems logical they’d be top notch for your hair also! They provide a wide variety of B vitamins, zinc, and essential fatty acids (A deficiency in any of these nutrients has been linked to hair loss).
Honestly, I was very happy with my findings! I love all these foods and now I have even more reason to indulge myself and eat them 🙂 And please though, like my editor keeps pointing out, we do need to reduce the amount of red meat and unsustainable fish and veg we eat.
Have a lovely day!